We recognise our moral and statutory responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of all pupils. We endeavour to provide a safe and welcoming environment where children are respected and valued. We are alert to the signs of abuse and neglect and follow our procedures to ensure that children receive effective support, protection and justice.
The procedures contained in this policy apply to all staff and governors and are consistent with those of the Torbay Safeguarding Children Partnership (TSCP)
Torbay Education Safeguarding Service works in partnership with schools to promote the welfare of children and young people, and to ensure they are safe from harm.
As part of their work they will receive information from partner agencies, such as the police and social care. If it is considered in the interest of the child or young person, this information will be shared with the school. If information is shared, this will be in accordance with the key principles of the Data Protection Act and be on a need to know basis, and will only occur to help schools protect and promote the welfare of your son or daughter. When there is any sharing of information, schools should discuss this with you to enable a partnership approach to meeting the needs of your son or daughter.
If you have any questions about the service please ask your school, or telephone the Torbay Education Safeguarding Service on 01803 393857
- The welfare of the child is paramount
- All children, regardless of age, gender, ability, culture, race, language, religion or sexual identity, have equal rights to protection
- All staff have an equal responsibility to act on any suspicion or disclosure that may suggest a child is at risk of harm
- Pupils and staff involved in child protection issues will receive appropriate support
- To provide all staff with the necessary information to enable them to meet their child protection responsibilities
- To ensure consistent good practice
- To demonstrate the school’s commitment with regard to child protection to pupils, parents and other partners
- To contribute to the school’s safeguarding portfolio