Welcome to Mayfield
Thank you for taking the time to read about Mayfield School and a very warm welcome.
We are a large special school organised over 3 sites in Torbay catering for a range of learners with complex educational needs and disabilities.
At Mayfield School in Torquay we have 180 pupils with severe and profound learning difficulties arranged in 19 classes from foundation through to Key Stage 4. We have highly skilled staff and fantastic facilities to support the ongoing development of every pupil’s EHCP need in a safe, nurturing and happy environment.
At Mayfield College in Paignton we have 52 students in Key Stage 4 and 5 with severe and profound learning difficulties. The highly skilled College team provide a holistic programme of study for our young people which utilised challenging, relevant and fun learning experiences whilst supporting individual progression and preparation for adulthood.
At Mayfield Chestnut in Brixham we have 32 Primary aged pupils with social, emotional and mental health difficulties arranged in 6 classes. Our highly skilled staff support our pupils to maintain academic progress whilst securing attachment and promoting resilience and wellbeing through playfulness, acceptance, curiosity and empathy.
Across our 3 sites we have the firm mission of Learning together to be the best that we can be building on the successes of today for the challenges of tomorrow.
I hope that you will find all the information you need as you browse through our website. If not please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Welcome to Mayfield!
Our original and main site based in Moor lane, Torquay.
The schools sixth form college based on our site in Preston, Torquay.
For children aged 5-11 years, experiencing complex social, emotional and mental health difficulties, based on our site in Brixham.
The school works in Partnership with a number of agencies to ensure that pupils needs and best interests are met. On site we have Speech and Language Therapists, physiotherapists and and a full time nurse.
At Mayfield School our pupils are the centre of everything we do and we are deeply committed to supporting our families. As a staff team and with our governors we have shared values that inform our decision making, relationships, actions, communications, beliefs and aspirations for everyone.
At Mayfield we will build trust by making the commitment to:
- Welcome and Care
- Value and Include
- Work in Partnership
We will welcome and care by:
- Providing a happy and secure environment
- Nurturing confidence, wellbeing and self-esteem
- Working together with you to build a supportive community
- Making sure your voice is heard and valued
- Responding with sensitivity
- Communicating expectations clearly
- Emphasising strengths and achievements
We will value and include you in every aspect of what we do by:
- Identifying needs early, welcoming involvement at every stage
- Having a ‘can do’ approach
- Making sure that all our staff have the right skills and understanding
- Sharing information about strengths and needs sensitively
- Being creative and flexible so that we can respond in the best way to individual strengths, needs and changing circumstances
- Involving everyone in decision-making processes
- Encouraging everyone to contribute to the development of our values, systems and policies
We will communicate with you openly, clearly and honestly by:
- Asking for your views and involvement
- Being available when people need to talk and making time to listen
- Listening calmly and respectfully
- Responding promptly and following up
- Reviewing regularly
- Providing all the information needed in a timely way, in a form that will be understood
- Striving to use positive and constructive language
We will work in partnership by:
- Encouraging participation
- Valuing your contributions
- Working together to develop plans, set targets and create and deliver specific programmes
- Involving you in decisions about organisational changes and improvements
Mayfield learning Values
- Safe and happy
- Able to make a choice
- Listened to
- Respected and respectful
- Needs met
- Stimulating environment
- Positive role models
- Equality of opportunity
- Quality first teaching
- Home / School partnerships
- Quality resources
- Access to other agencies
- Creative opportunities
- Physical well-being
- Positive relationships
- Feel safe
- A voice
- Choice in my home
- Sense of community
- Opportunities for further learning
Our vision for Mayfield
Mayfield will be regarded and recognised as a Centre of Excellence for SEND.
Mayfield will be viewed as a learning community in which everyone, pupils and staff, are making progress towards their individual learning goals
Mayfield will maintain its Family Feel with a focus on wellbeing for all, nurture and positivity.
Learning together to be the best that we can be
- Inspire each other through positive relationships
- Provide and creative environment
- Offer enjoyable, stimulating, personalised opportunities
- Celebrate individual achievement
Building on the success of today for the challenges of tomorrow
Mayfield Strategic Aims 2023-24
Mayfield Development Plan 2023-24
Mayfield Chestnut Centre
please feel free to get in touch…
Please submit your message using the form below and a member of the Mayfield team will be in touch shortly.